Barque: Thomas Moore Network

Visit Barque: Thomas Moore at http://barque.blogspot.com

Hi,

This is a commencement speech given at a Catholic university just down the street from me, the University of Portland. The text is lengthy, but well worth reading every word of: http://tinyurl.com/ry5ug5

Rob

Views: 32

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Rob, Thanks for posting this. What a great speech! Lengthy? I thought it ended too soon. Thomas Moore's friend Michael who collects used-and-still-useful running shoes to send to people overseas came to mind when Hawkins talked about strangers helping others. May the class of 2009 follow his advice.
Yes, thank you, Rob. I recall seeing Paul speak at the U of Oregon some years back, to a packed auditorium. I must admit that as I headed off to see him speak I was prepared not to like the man. Trained originally as an economist and well-experientially versed in the machinations of global big biz, I have spent the better part of the past couple of decades seeking a working alternative to materialism. The title of Hawken's recently-released text at the time, "Natural Capitalism" had me pegging its tanned, handsome and strikingly photogenic author as a suave, pin-up apologist for the fundamental incoherence that is an exchange economy. Boy, did I make a complete fool of myself with that call - but then again don't we always when we judge? As it happens, I found his delivery refined, engaging, and redolent with a humility that matched its piercing intelligence. I was quite taken by Paul's experience since he has become a 'name.' Recognition has afforded him access to the very highest corridors of economic and political power and he was polite but utterly damning about what he has discovered in his efforts to nurse transition there. His message was simple, "The system is broken: those vested in its continuance cannot/will not change" - a charge which echoes my own hands-on experiences attempting to shift the innermost recesses of the 'Expert' State, in the face of a demonic ethic which passes for normalcy there. As Hillman puts it, "Anyone who rises in a world that worships success should be suspect, for this is an age of psychopathy." I was deeply struck by Paul's last words, made as he finished answering questions and as he literally turned from the microphone to leave the stage. This, to reiterate, from a man with a highly sophisticated, experiential understanding of realpolitik: "We have to move to a gift economy," he offered. He struck me as a profoundly pragmatic soul. I will forward your pointer to my local sustainability listserv. Thank you very much for the pointer.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Barque.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service