Barque: Thomas Moore Network

Visit Barque: Thomas Moore at http://barque.blogspot.com

Hi,

I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) from Monroe, LA. I work at a state-funded, inpatient substance abuse facility. I recently started my private psychotherapy practice called The Center for Awakened Living, LLC with my life-partner, Richard Womack. I have been reading everything that Thomas Moore has written since 1992 when I bought Care of The Soul at a local bookstore. There has always been something about his writings that resonates with me.

More recently I have studied the work of nondual spiritual teachers like Eckhart Tolle, Byron Katie, Richard Miller, Adyashanti, Gangaji, Ramana Maharshi, John Welwood, etc. I attended Byron Katie's nine-day "School for The Work" (www.thework.com) and have received advanced training in a meditation technique called Integrative Restoration (iRest) with Richard Miller (www.nondual.com). My approach to therapy is a marriage of all that I have learned from my studies in Jungian/Archetypal psychology, Christian Mysticism/Spirituality, Eastern Religion, Nondual Wisdom and various other sources.

The logo for The Center is the labyrinth of Chartres Cathedral. Here is what I have written to explain to people the meaning of our name and of our logo:

About Our Name:

• “Awakening” – Waking up from our beliefs, self-concepts, and stressful stories. Waking up to our original nature, our basic goodness, who we are without our stories.
• “Awakened Living” – Embodying this awareness in compassionate action. Living it out in our day-to-day lives with our families, at work, in our communities.

About Our Logo:

The Labyrinth – A metaphor for the journey to both awakening and awakened living.

o There is one path that leads in a circuitous way to the center – the place of presence and being – the core of who we are. This is the path of “awakening.” This “inner” path is only half of the journey, however.
o The same path that takes us to the center of the labyrinth also takes us back out into the world. It is by taking this “outer” path that we live out our realization in the world. Our realizations mean nothing until they are lived. This is what’s called “awakened living.”

Being your true self on the mountaintop is one thing. Being your true self at a family reunion is another thing altogether. It is important that we learn how to fully embody what we discover about ourselves during the therapy hour in the nitty-gritty of our daily lives.

Thanks,
Billy

Views: 13

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Many thanks for introducing yourself, Billy. I hope you'll contribute to the Barque discussions and let us know how Thomas Moore's writings resonate with you. D.
Hi Billy,
I wish you much success with your new endeavor...and helping people to discover their true nature. it sound as though you have..!

russell

RSS

© 2024   Created by Barque.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service