Barque: Thomas Moore Network

Visit Barque: Thomas Moore at http://barque.blogspot.com

Welcome to Opus, an online exploration of Thomas Moore’s new book, A Life at Work: The Joy of Discovering what You were Born to Do. For forty weekdays, a daily Opus discussion will contain a passage from the book and a practice suggestion. We encourage you to share your responses to the quotation and the suggestion with Barque Forum members as replies to the discussion. We recommend that you to buy A Life at Work or borrow it from your local public library, however, you do not need a copy of the book to participate in this course. This first Opus discussion reviews the structure of the course and includes today's initial practice.

Daily Discussions: For 40 weekdays (Monday to Friday), on the Barque Forum, in the Opus category, a daily discussion will be posted, containing a passage from Thomas Moore’s A Life at Work.

Each discussion quote will be followed by a suggested work practice, based on the passage. Do something every day to deepen your work. Keeping a personal journal about your reflections and reactions to the daily offering may be helpful.

Replies: As a registered member of Barque, you are warmly invited to respond to the daily offering, sharing your responses with others. You may want to reply a few days after the initial posting when you’ve had a chance to think about what happened. This information is public and can be viewed by all Barque visitors. Check earlier Opus discussions for new replies.

The first step in the Opus course is to register as a free member of Barque. Only registered members can post replies. When you register, please share some of your interests by completing your Barque member profile.

Replies to the daily discussion topic are to be supportive and affirming, and based on one’s own experiences.

1. Log into your Barque account,
2. Select the Forum tab at the top,
3. Select the Opus category on the left side.
Opus course discussions will be displayed in reverse chronological order.

Please send Barque a message if you have any questions about this course.

We thank Mary Ann and Frederic Brussat at Spirituality and Practice for their Thomas Moore resources and for offering the course, Practicing Spirituality with Thomas Moore, earlier this year.

Opus Day 1

“Alchemy offers a model for finding your life work. It teaches that the search is not just about the product but also the process. It offers rich metaphors for the many changes you go through, the moods and emotions you experience, and the repeated failures and successes that are a natural part of the process. Most of all, alchemy takes the search out of the realm of the heroic, where you are desperate to succeed and despair when you fail, into a complex process where the search is a lifelong process.

Still the alchemist approached his work as though his life depended on it. He believed that the opus is the most important thing you do in life. Your work is equally important, too, not just as a means for making a living but as the medium through which you become a person.”

Today’s work: This preparation stage for adopting an approach to work considers intentions, tools and techniques. Please share why you are following this course, what interests you about this topic, and what you hope to learn or achieve. What items would a visitor find in your alchemical laboratory to assist this process?

Share your responses with Barque readers, by replying to this discussion.

Views: 56

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am a little late - just joined. After an extremely busy, trying to be heroic, demanding, being there for others type work life I am now retired from that work. I feel now I want to give time to myself, be contemplative, discover the music still inside me and play that music with joy and vigour.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Barque.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service